20 Things Before 20
Updated: Dec 28, 2019
The legend that is Taylor Swift has inspired me to write down some lessons I have learnt, or am learning, as I approach a new decade of my life. Click here to read her article for Elle. As for mine, let's get started...
1. It's okay to say no. In fact, sometimes it's healthy for both parties involved.
2. Going outside is good for the soul and the body.
3. A small number of close friends is better than 30 acquaintances.
4. Live for the moment.
5. You can always make a friend.
6. Delete the apps that don't enhance your life.
7. Donate or discard what doesn't bring you joy (thanks Marie Kondo).
8. Identity is a work in progress, not a finished artifact.
9. The terms 'life plan' and 'backup plan' are unrealistic. Use 'ideas' and 'alternative ideas'.
10. Failure and success are not black and white.
11. Failure and not achieving expectations are DIFFERENT.
12. If you have learnt something from failure, then you have succeeded.
13. Check if your decisions are SMART:
14. If at first you don't succeed, re-evaluate your standards of success.
15. Do the things that scare you.
16. Onion, garlic, salt and pepper are basic things that go in almost every dish.
17. Turning off push notifications on ALL apps reminds you that you don't need your phone.
18. Music makes the world go round.
19. Showering regularly and going outside are the simplest, but sometimes most effective, remedies (unless you have a broken leg, in which case maybe not).
20. Learning to love yourself is a process and nobody can rush you into it. Go at your own pace, you will get there!
Those are my life lessons! So, let me ask you: What's an important lesson you have learnt recently?
Let me know in the comments below and don't forget to share this post, to remind others of the lessons they need to learn in their 20s!